National Bank of Malawi (NBM) plc has said it will conduct a thorough review of the just-ended NBM Women’s Premiership sponsorship.
NBM Chief Financial Officer Daniel Jere made the remarks at the end of the inaugural season at Silver Stadium in Lilongwe on Sunday.
Jere described the inaugural season as a success.
“We are excited about this tournament and will soon conduct a thorough review of the first edition. We will communicate on the way forward [in terms] of that particular sponsorship,” Jere said.
NBM and Fam signed K1.58 billion one-year football sponsorship in July last year.
The bank dedicated K430 million towards women’s football.
Out of the K430 million, K280 million catered for the first-ever NBM Women’s Premiership whereas K150 million was for the Malawi Women’s National Football Team, the Scorchers, which qualified for this year’s 2026 TotalEnergies Caf Women’s Africa Cup of Nations (Wafcon) finals, to be staged in Morocco from March 17 to April.
Jere also commended the Football Association of Malawi (Fam) for successfully managing the inaugural edition.
He said the bank was excited that the inaugural edition was violence-free and also achieved its purpose of providing a good platform for girls to showcase their skills.
“We decided to provide the first-ever structured league for women’s football and that brought together teams from all over the country. It was quite an achievement.
“We have also seen that the league has contributed several players to the Scorchers that have made it to the Wafcon finals. So, that is a big source of excitement for us,” Jere said.
Fam President Fleetwood Haiya said the inaugural edition surpassed its expectations.
Haiya hailed NBM plc for investing resources in women’s football.
“We commend NBM for believing in our vision. National Bank believed in us, in our women and in this group. We believe that the bank is pleased with the way we have managed the league and we will be very happy to see the bank committing to sponsor the league for more years,” Haiya said.
Apart from the league, NBM is sponsoring the Scorchers and Under-23 NBM National Championship.
Meanwhile, Haiya has said the association has already engaged the bank for Scorchers’ sponsorship ahead of the Wafcon finals.
“We are engaging NBM on the issue and we will set up a committee on resource mobilisation,” he said.
He said the tentative budget for the Scorchers Wafcon finals is K500 million to cater for return air tickets, accommodation and allowances for the traveling squad.
Youth, Sports and Culture Minister Patricia Wiskes hailed NBM for being a true partner in the development of sports.
“We are following, with keen interest, the state of preparedness of the team ahead of the tournament. We are very committed to ensuring that the Scorchers get enough and necessary support for the competition,” Wiskes said.
National Women’s Football Association (NWFA) Chairperson Adellaide Migogo also hailed NBM for uplifting the standards of women’s football.
Silver Strikers Ladies were crowned champions with 48 points whereas Ascent Soccer Academy finished as runners-up.
MDF Lionesses finished on position three.
Silver Ladies got K10 million plus a trophy whereas Ascent and Lionesses pocketed K5 million and K3 million, respectively
