Ambush in Ayod Leaves 2 Dead and 8 Injured

2
Ambush in Ayod Leaves 2 Dead and 8 Injured
Ambush in Ayod Leaves 2 Dead and 8 Injured

Africa-Press – South-Sudan. At least two civilians were killed and eight others wounded in a road ambush in Kuachdeng Payam of Ayod County on Thursday evening, with the Jonglei State government accusing elements of the SPLA-IO of carrying out the attack.

In a statement issued on February 14, the Jonglei State Ministry of Information and Communication said the incident occurred at around 5:00 p.m. on February 13, when armed assailants ambushed a group of civilians travelling from Duk Padiet to Ayod.

The victims had reportedly travelled to Bor town earlier in the week to purchase food supplies and were returning home when their vehicle came under attack along the Duk Padiet–Kuachdeng route. Authorities said two people died at the scene, while eight others sustained injuries of varying degrees.

Nyamar Lony Thichot, the State Minister of Information and Communication, condemned the attack and directly blamed fighters allied to the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement/Army-In Opposition (SPLM/A-IO).

“The Government of Jonglei State condemns in the strongest terms possible the attack carried out by SPLM/IO elements on innocent civilians,” Nyamar said in the statement.

The wounded victims were evacuated to Duk, where they are currently receiving medical treatment, according to the ministry.

State authorities warned that the ambush poses a serious threat to the safety of civilians who regularly travel between Duk Padiet and Kuachdeng in Ayod County for trade and other essential activities.

The government described the road as a vital corridor for local communities, particularly for accessing food and basic commodities.

Nyamar called on county officials and security organs to take urgent measures to address what she termed “internal security threats” and ensure that those responsible for the attack are identified and brought to justice.

She also urged residents in the affected areas to remain vigilant and cooperate with local authorities to prevent further incidents.

“The Government of Jonglei State pays its heartfelt condolences to the families who lost their loved ones, stands in solidarity with those who lost their properties, and wishes a quick recovery to the wounded persons,” she said.

There was no immediate response from the SPLA-IO regarding the allegations at the time of publication.

For More News And Analysis About South-Sudan Follow Africa-Press

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here