Africa-Press – Uganda. Youth leaders under the Uganda Youth Council have protested a court petition seeking a recount of votes in the election of Mercy Kanyesigye as National Female Youth Member of Parliament, describing the move as baseless and politically motivated.
Speaking to journalists on Sunday at Sheron Hotel in Kampala, the youth leaders asserted that the February 6 election was free, transparent, and conducted in the presence of the media and officials from the Electoral Commission.
“We are here to address the injustice surrounding the election for the position of National Female Youth MP. In broad daylight, and in the presence of the media, Mercy Kanyesigye was declared the winner. The entire process was covered by various media houses, and the results were made public for everyone to see,” said Stephen Nyamuhaki, a youth leader from the Ankole region.
Nyamuhaki expressed surprise that candidate Diana Ampaire is challenging results that were openly announced.
“It is shocking that some candidates are now protesting results that were publicly declared. The media was present, and the delegates witnessed the outcome. Yet one of the candidates is rejecting the results and demanding a recount,” he said.
He questioned why the petitioner is seeking a recount in only one polling station that had approximately 450 delegates.
“We are puzzled by the call for a recount at just one polling station with about 450 delegates. What exactly is the candidate looking for?” he asked.
Nyamuhaki noted that the election was supervised by senior Electoral Commission officials.
“On election day, Justice Simon Byabakama, Chairperson of the Electoral Commission, was present and witnessed the entire process. No concerns about irregularities were raised, and a winner was duly declared,” he said.
He also dismissed claims made in court by a witness identified as Collins, who alleged that complaints were ignored on election day.
“Last week in court, a witness named Collins claimed he raised concerns that were ignored. However, videos circulating on social media do not show either Collins or Hon. Diana protesting the results on that day,” Nyamuhaki stated.
Calling on the public to support Kanyesigye, he described her as a legitimate and experienced leader.
“We urge the public and all stakeholders to defend Mercy Kanyesigye’s victory. She contested in the primaries, was unfairly treated, later stood as an independent candidate, and has served as a youth leader in her district,” he said.
Nyamuhaki further questioned why Ampaire, who reportedly had security personnel at the venue, did not raise concerns during the election.
“If there were any issues, she had every opportunity to raise them on the spot,” he added.
He also criticized the court for allegedly blocking key evidence.
“When we appeared in court, the judge did not allow video footage from the election day to be played. Anyone who watches the footage can see there were no irregularities or misconduct,” he said.
The youth leaders urged the court, which is expected to rule on Tuesday, February 17, to dismiss the petition.
“These inconsistencies show the case lacks credibility and should be dismissed. We pray that the court throws out this petition because it is based on misleading claims,” Nyamuhaki said.
Sarah Kyomuhangi questioned the integrity of a potential recount, citing concerns about the custody of election materials.
“We do not know where the ballot box has been since polling day. During the court hearing in Hoima, there was heavy military presence at the Electoral Commission offices, along with unidentified individuals in plain clothes. How can we be sure the ballot box has not been tampered with?” she asked.
She also called for clarification regarding claims that the petition is politically backed.
“We have heard allegations that the candidate claims to have support from President Museveni and that he is backing her petition. We call upon the President or State House officials to clarify these claims, as they risk tarnishing his name,” she said.
The Electoral Commission declared Kanyesigye winner of the February 6 election held at Hoima City Stadium, where she defeated Ampaire by 16 votes. A total of 440 youth delegates participated.
According to official results, Kanyesigye (Independent) secured 216 votes, Ampaire (NRM) received 198 votes, Julia Muhumuza (Independent) obtained 24 votes, NUP’s Edith Namande got one vote, and one vote was invalid.
Ampaire has since filed a petition challenging the results, alleging that some votes counted for Kanyesigye rightfully belonged to her and demanding a recount. The court heard the matter on Friday and scheduled its ruling for Tuesday, February 17.





