Big Push for Sunyani Outer-Ring Road Project Progress

1
Big Push for Sunyani Outer-Ring Road Project Progress
Big Push for Sunyani Outer-Ring Road Project Progress

Africa-Press – Ghana. Contractors executing the Sunyani Outer Ring Road project, under the government’s ‘Big Push’ road infrastructure initiative have assured quality works, pledging to complete the 34-kilometer-dual-carriage asphaltic road, even before the stipulated period.

They expressed appreciation for the cooperation received from traditional authorities, residents and all stakeholders so far, however, pleaded with the residents to stay off the project.

President John Dramani Mahama performed the ground breaking ceremony for the 34-km Sunyani Outer Ring Road project on December 21, 2025, under the “Big Push” to boost economic growth, reduce congestion, and improve connectivity in the regional capital.

During a visit, Mr Kofi Kamkam, the Site Engineer of the Kofi Job Company Limited told the Ghana News Agency (GNA) that the project was expected to be completed in two years, however added that with the level of cooperation from stakeholders, the project could completed before the stipulated period.

He explained that the road project linked communities like Fiapre, Nanketewa, Old Abesim as well as Old Odomase and New Odomase, connecting to the main Sunyani-Berekum and Sunyani-Abesim highways.

Mr Kamkam said presently, the company was undertaking major earth works as well as the construction of the 26 bridges (box culvert) on the road.

He said the major challenge confronting the execution of the project now had to do with the closure of the 13 large open pits, to be left at the centre of the double-lane, explaining that per the contract the company was to leave those pits opened.

However, Mr Kamkam added that feasibility studies showed that it would not be appropriate to leave those pits, saying doing so would affect the durability of the dual-carriage road in future.

“Besides the actual agreement, we are doing our best to close those pits, but it’s cost intensive. In fact, the company has managed to close-level five of the pits now but it would be difficult for us to do all”.

Mr Kamkam therefore called on the Ministry of Roads and Highways, relevant institutions and stakeholders to come together, revisit the contract and fund the closure of the seven other pits on the stretch.

Nonetheless, the GNA noticed that major earthing works on the execution of the road project were progressing steadily, with many of the bridges nearing completion.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here