Matatu Operators Call Off Nationwide Strike After Talks With Ruto

0
Matatu Operators Call Off Nationwide Strike After Talks With Ruto
Matatu Operators Call Off Nationwide Strike After Talks With Ruto

Public transport operators have officially called off the nationwide transport sector strike over fuel prices, which had been scheduled to resume on Monday, May 26, to allow time for talks with the government.

The announcement was made during a press briefing on Friday, May 22, at Mombasa State House following discussions with President William Ruto regarding their concerns.

Federation of Public Transport Sector chair Edwin Mukabana directed investors, drivers, and conductors to return vehicles to the roads.

“I am announcing to all our members, especially our investors, drivers and conductors, that following our deliberations with His Excellency, the strike we had suspended has now been fully called off. We expect this to take immediate effect, and everyone should return their vehicles to the road,” he said.

The development followed Ruto’s announcement of a further Ksh10 reduction in diesel prices for the June-July pricing cycle to ease concerns over pump prices. After the price revision, diesel in Nairobi will sell at Ksh222.86 per litre, kerosene at Ksh191.38, and super petrol at Ksh214.25, effective June 15.

In addition to reduced fuel costs, the transport operators also expressed satisfaction with the President’s directives regarding long-standing sector issues such as insurance and the graffiti ban.

In addition, Kushian Muchiri, chair of the Association of Matatu Transport Owners (ATMO), apologised to the public for the violence and destruction experienced during protests on May 19 and 20.

“I would like to start by apologising to the country for the time we went on strike. We had directed that vehicles should be left at home, but unfortunately, goons infiltrated, political interests got involved, and as a result, people lost vehicles while schools and other institutions were vandalised,” he said.

During the nationwide fuel protests, vehicles were torched, and schools and other structures were vandalised in several towns and along major highways.

Several injuries and deaths were also reported, with some protesters reportedly shot or arrested as police were deployed to clear barricaded roads and restore order.

Looking ahead, transport operators said they will be engaging with Cabinet Secretary for Roads and Transport Davis Chirchir to address remaining concerns affecting the sector.

The country can now breathe a sigh of relief as public transport is expected to run normally, with no disruptions to work or daily activities next week following the conclusion of the talks.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here