Detectives revisit Kenei house as probe goes on


AfricaPress-Kenya: Directorate of Criminal investigations (DCI) detectives on Saturday evening visited the house of the late Sergeant Kipyegon Kenei who was attached to the Office of the Deputy President.

Residents said the officers went to the house in Villa Franca Estate, Imara Daima, Nairobi and spent the better part of the night there.

The visit to the house adds to many others by the officers in the course of the investigations. But it is the latest after a lull on the probe occasioned by among others, the Covid-19 pandemic.An insider said the detectives were in final stages of the probe adding “watch this space”, without elaborating.

This came as it emerged that another team from the homicide unit had joined the probe.DCI boss George Kinoti, who residents said was among those who visited the scene, refused to comment on the new developments. “Just wait for the outcomes.

The probe is ongoing,” he said.Nyumba Kumi Chairman of Villa Franca Twiga Court Peter Amunga said he heard reports that Mr Kinoti was with the probe team during the visit to Kenei’s house.“There were reports Kinoti was present.

The car that was at the scene is alleged to be his; I did not see him alight from his car, but I know his colleagues since they were here last time. They told us they were going to be here for a long time because they had some new leads, but they refused to reveal the same,” said Mr Amunga.

Under guard

The house has been under guard since the body of the officer was found on February 20.The detectives last month talked to Kenei’s father, John Chesang, about progress of the case.

According to sources aware of the developments, the team told Mr Chesang that Kenei was not supposed to be on duty on the day former Sports Cabinet Secretary Rashid Echesa and two foreigners drove to the Office of the DP and signed a fake Sh39.5 billion arms deal.

He was summoned to facilitate their entry into the office for the mission. The DCI decided to brief Chesang about the probe after they learnt that “strangers” have been pestering the father, who is a government officer, to state that his son committed suicide.

Kenei’s father was shown evidence supporting the probe so far, including video recordings captured at the office and data from Kenei’s mobile phone.

After police approached Chesang, Kapseret MP Oscar Sudi questioned why the DCI was taking too long to conclude the probe.

“Don’t think we are fools, we know all your plans including to take Kenei’s parents to some high-ranking office this week,” he said in a Facebook post. Other sources said three police officers attached to the DP’s office recorded statements in connection with Kenei’s murder.

The investigators have concluded the death was murder, which was staged as suicide. His killers deleted all communication data from his mobile phone.The officer’s body was found lying on the floor, near the door, with a visible gunshot wound on his chin after the bullet exited through the upper part of his head.

The investigators have established that data on the slain officer’s phone was intentionally flushed out and reset to factory settings, leaving little to rely on to trace the people he last spoke to before he was killed.Police have concluded that a suicide note collected from Kenei’s house did not bear his handwriting.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here