Africa-Press – Mozambique. The President of the Republic, Daniel Chapo, denied today (29) the serious allegations about alleged atrocities that allegedly were committed by the Defense and Security Forces (FDS) in Afungi, Palma district, Cabo Delgado province.
These allegations began to be published in the September 26 issue of “Politico” in London in an article entitled: All must be beheaded, revelation of atrocities at French Energy Giant’s African Stronghold. Mozambican soldiers operating out TotalEnergies’ natural gas plant abducted, raped and killed dozens of civilians
“All must be decapitated. Revelations of the atrocities committed in the French energy giant’s camp. Mozambican soldiers operating in the TotalEnergies natural gas plant have kidnapped, raped and killed dozens of civilians”, (free translation).
The President of the Republic denied this during his visit to the premises of the Delegation of the Provincial Commission for Human Rights in Pemba to learn about the functioning of this body and the ongoing actions for the protection and promotion of fundamental rights in the province.
The visit also aimed at institutional strengthening, promoting human rights and monitoring civic empowerment initiatives in the country
On the allegations circulated by some international media, regarding the violation of human rights said Chapo said “They did not find the issues that newspapers and some who make themselves investigators at international level are evoking, we pronounce ourselves from Cabo Delgado that does not constitute the truth”, he said.
In fact, Chapo said, the Attorney General’s Office (PGR) was also involved in the investigation of these allegations in collaboration with the CNDH and other relevant institutions.
“Therefore, it is that to consolidate more and more the position of the government of the Republic of Mozambique, which is committed to the consolidation of the Democratic Rule of Law, we think it was extremely important to open the first delegation of the CNDH in the Republic of Mozambique in Cabo Delgado”, he said.
He explained that the priority of creating a delegation in Cabo Delgado is a direct strategy aimed at combating the international and national narrative that questions the observance of human rights in that province.
“We want to take this opportunity to say that we gave priority to the province of Cabo Delgado because, as you know, we are challenged by terrorism and there is disinformation and manipulation of public opinion, at national and international level that there is no respect for human rights”, he said.
He said that before the opening and operationalization of the delegation of the National Commission on Human Rights in Pemba, a team had already been deployed to Cabo Delgado province to conduct a more thorough investigation.
“What we did, first, was listen to the CNDH for Cabo Delgado, who did a deep, extraordinary job for the whole province, mainly the districts of the northern zone , starting with Palma, Afungi, Praia Mozimboa, Macomia and all those zones and districts that are affected by terrorism”, he said.
He added that the government intends to build an inclusive study, as all Mozambicans are part of the country’s sustainable development process.
For More News And Analysis About Mozambique Follow Africa-Press





