Africa-Press – Rwanda. Uhuru Kenyatta, facilitator of the East African Community (EAC) efforts to restore peace in eastern DR Congo, has said that only the Congolese can bring an end to the decades-long insecurity.
Kenyatta made the comments as he joined other EAC leaders to launch the third round of the inter-Congolese dialogue on Monday, November 28 in the Kenyan capital, Nairobi.
The peace talks have brought together the Kinshasa government and multiple armed groups based in the eastern Congolese provinces of North Kivu, South Kivu and Ituri.
Kenyatta, who visited DR Congo earlier this month, said the Congolese have the key to peace in their country.
“Dear Congolese, peace will not come from other people; it will come from yourselves,” Kenyatta said addressing the delegation present in Nairobi.
“You have to accept that the country is yours and that you wish for peace. You have to take the hoes and construction tools to ensure that the Congolese wealth is meant to support you and not to spill your blood.”
The EAC-led Nairobi process is one of the regional mechanisms established to restore peace in eastern DR Congo. The other is the African Union supported Luanda roadmap, spearheaded by the Angolan President João Lourenço.
As he addressed the Congolese delegation in Nairobi, Kenyatta said: “You have to know that no one else has the ability to bring lasting peace except yourselves.”
Uhuru Kenyatta, addresses the third round of the inter-Congolese dialogue in Nairobi on Monday, November 28.Courtesy
“Ours is to support you, to give you a hand and pray for you. But the bigger responsibility will be yours the Congolese when you have decided to live together in peace, for your benefit and that of the next generations.”
Burundian President and EAC chair officiated the launch of inter-Congolese dialogue, joined by Kenyan President William Ruto and representatives from the African Union and the United Nations.
Presidents Felix Tshisekedi of DR Congo, Paul Kagame of Rwanda and Yoweri Museveni of Uganda attended virtually.
The leaders emphasised “the political process as the surest path to sustainable peace and security,” the EAC said in a statement.
Representatives of armed groups, those for the Congolese government, community leaders and civil society are taking part in the third round of peace talks, which will run until December 3.