Councillor disputes: Months after elections, ANC still dealing with 150 complaints in North West

3
Councillor disputes: Months after elections, ANC still dealing with 150 complaints in North West
Councillor disputes: Months after elections, ANC still dealing with 150 complaints in North West

Africa-Press – South-Africa. Months after the 2021 local government elections concluded, the ANC in the North West still faces 150 outstanding disputes over candidates selected to run as councillors.

The ANC’s North West investigations team has asked disgruntled members, who claim they were wronged by the interim provincial committee, to submit videos, pictures and voice notes as evidence.

On Wednesday, the team will begin to hear oral evidence from ANC members in Rustenburg.

Ramaphosa appeared before the ANC’s integrity commission, says Kodwa

Each claimant will be given 10 minutes to state their case as to why they believe they were wronged when candidates for the municipal elections were decided on.

The investigations team was appointed by the ANC’s national executive committee (NEC) earlier this year.

It followed a recommendation by the elections committee of the ANC, headed by Kgalema Motlanthe, which found widespread issues regarding the elections selection process in the North West.

The issues were so grave the NEC saw it fit that only a task team, which had no links to the selection process, should be appointed.

News24 was told there were 150 disputes lodged in the North West.

Those found to have been elected fraudulently in the province risk removal from their currently occupied municipal posts.

The team, headed by Tate Makgoe, will have hearings in all the regions in Bojanala, Ngaka Modiri Molema, Dr Kenneth Kaunda and Dr Ruth Segomotsi Mompati.

ANC still finalising candidate disputes and appeals – months after municipal elections

The hearings will end in September, and a report is expected in October.

The ANC had promised a swift response to elections disputes ahead of the municipal elections last year.

In March, the ANC’s treasurer-general, Paul Mashatile, said Motlanthe and his team had processed over 770 local government elections disputes from most regions.

The ANC undertook a different approach to its candidate selection process in 2021.

The party conducted interviews and allowed the participation of the public in its candidate selection process.

This resulted in widespread disputes and several protests by disgruntled members at the party’s Luthuli House headquarters.

For More News And Analysis About South-Africa Follow Africa-Press

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here