NRM Youth Councillors Protest over Delayed Campaign Refunds

5
NRM Youth Councillors Protest over Delayed Campaign Refunds
NRM Youth Councillors Protest over Delayed Campaign Refunds

Africa-Press – Uganda. More than 100 youth councillors affiliated to the National Resistance Movement (NRM) on Tuesday stormed the party’s headquarters in Kyadondo, demanding payment of campaign funds they say were promised but never refunded.

The youth leaders, drawn from various parts of the country, carried placards with messages calling on the party leadership to honor its financial commitments. They insisted that many of them used personal savings and borrowed money to finance their campaigns under the NRM ticket, following assurances that they would be reimbursed.

The group was led by their chairperson, Raymond Ocheng, who said the prolonged delay has left many youth leaders in financial distress.

“We used our personal money to campaign after the party promised to refund us, but up to now we have not received any payment,” Ocheng said.

“At the moment, we are in serious financial distress because many of us took loans to finance our campaigns,” he added.

The councillors said they had previously engaged party officials on several occasions but were only given assurances without concrete timelines for payment.

“We have met several party leaders about this issue, but we have only been given assurances without action,” one of the youth leaders noted.

In a pointed remark, the group urged the party to prioritize young leaders who represent its future, rather than focusing on senior figures such as Yusuf Nsibambi.

“The party should prioritize young people instead of focusing more on older leaders who have little to add to the future of the party,” Ocheng said.

Several of the protesting councillors revealed that they are currently under pressure from lenders and risk defaulting on loans acquired during the campaign period.

Responding to the concerns, NRM spokesperson Emmanuel Dombo acknowledged receipt of the complaints and said the matter had been escalated to the party’s top leadership.

“The party is aware of the concerns raised by these youth councillors. The matter was presented to the party chairperson, and they will soon receive feedback to ensure fairness,” Dombo said.

He appealed to the youth leaders to remain calm as the party works toward resolving the issue.

The protest highlights growing tensions within the ruling party’s youth structures, as young leaders push for greater recognition, inclusion, and accountability within the party framework

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here