Africa-Press – Zambia. A Debate has ensued, and continues to do so, about the upcoming National Day of prayer with opinions split about the intent or real objective of its declaration by the previous President.
I thought I might help outline and affirm, the various Milestones or beacons that our country has gone through leading to the infusion of Christian Values in our National Identity, as a Christian Nation. I hope this will show that despite the fact all of us have fallen and have come short of the glory of God, God has been using the same fallible human agents to bring about a positive change in our country, and that none of these key milestones should be taken in isolation, but must be seen as the steady development of our CHRISTIAN NATION heritage.
1. We affirm the prayer of David Livingstone, before he died at modern day Chitambo Mission, that, “On this land where I rest my bended knees, let it become a mighty Christian Nation.” A beacon of hope to the African continent and a light to the rest of the world.”
2. We affirm the prayer of our first President Dr Kenneth David Kaunda who said: “Zambia shall honor and uphold the Christian faith.”
3. We affirm the declaration made by a young Tele – Evangelist, One Nevers Sekwila Mumba, born on the same place that David Livingstone made his declaration nearly 100 years earlier, through his herald message that “Zambia Shall Be Saved”!!!!
4. We further affirm the declaration of Zambia as a Christian nation by our second President Dr Fredrick Chiluba.
5. We affirm and celebrate the declaration of October 18th as a Day of Prayer, Fasting, Reconciliation, and Forgiveness as announced by the sixth President Mr Edgar Chagwa Lungu.
Today, we hold ourselves accountable to the solemn vows we as a Nation made to God. We promise to govern ourselves under the Lordship of Jesus Christ. We dedicate the Presidency, Cabinet, the Civil service, the legislature, the Judiciary and the people of Zambia to the Lordship of Christ.
We vow to fight to end corruption. We vow to be just and to defend the weak. We vow to ensure that this country is governed in morality and integrity of heart. Amen🙏 Dr.Nevers Sekwila Mumba