Government Frets Over Situation In Schools

3
Government Frets Over Situation In Schools
Government Frets Over Situation In Schools

Africa-PressZimbabwe. Primary and Secondary Education deputy minister Edgar Moyo on Monday said the government is working hard to prevent the spread of the coronavirus in schools as happened when classes resumed in late 2020.

Last year, about 500 pupils were infected with COVID-19 at various schools — including John Tallach in Bulawayo and Chinhoyi High School in Mashonaland West.

Speaking during an interview with the Daily News on Monday, Moyo said the government is making sure that schools follow World Health Organisation (WHO) regulations. He said:

We are hopeful that last year’s situation will not repeat itself. We are doing our best to make sure students continue learning. We want schools to limit the spread of COVID-19.

This is a national issue and it must not be isolated. We must work together to make sure that our learners are safe.

This comes after Prince Edward High School in Harare and Dove Secondary School in Mberengwa have recorded COVID-19 cases.

46 confirmed new COVID-19 cases involving learners, educators and non-teaching staff have been recorded in Harare and Mberengwa after schools opened for face-to-face lessons on 15 March.

Prince Edward High School initially reported seven COVID-19 cases last week after all its boarding pupils had undergone tests at Parirenyatwa Group of Hospitals.

A total of 32 Prince Edward learners are currently quarantined, while the staff members are self-isolating at home.

The government barred learners from travelling back to their homes during this past Easter holiday in a move meant to curb the spread of the coronavirus.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here