Senzo Meyiwa trial: Batohi turns down Teffo’s request to stop prosecution of four accused

21
Senzo Meyiwa trial: Batohi turns down Teffo's request to stop prosecution of four accused
Senzo Meyiwa trial: Batohi turns down Teffo's request to stop prosecution of four accused

Africa-Press – South-Africa. Defence advocate Malesela Teffo’s request to stop the prosecution of the men charged in the Senzo Meyiwa murder trial has failed.

In July, Teffo, who was representing four of the men charged with murdering the former Bafana Bafana captain, submitted what he said was a request to National Director of Public Prosecutions (NDPP).

WATCH LIVE | Senzo Meyiwa murder trial continues in Gauteng High Court in Pretoria

Teffo asked NDPP, advocate Shamila Batohi, to exercise her powers under Section 6 (b) of the Criminal Procedure Act, which deals with the power to withdraw charges against an accused or stop a prosecution.

However, Section 6 (b) gives the NDPP the authority to stop a prosecution at any time after the accused have pleaded, but before judgment.

ALSO READ |

Senzo Meyiwa: NPA says nothing untoward about decision to move second docket to Pretoria office

Teffo based his request on claims that two of the accused in the Meyiwa trial made confession statements under duress.

Teffo has since withdrawn as defence counsel in the matter.

On Monday, the Gauteng High Court in Pretoria heard that the request made to Batohi was denied.

Prosecutor, advocate George Baloyi, told the court that the “application” was unsuccessful and that attorney TT Thobane, representing four of the accused, had been notified.

No reasons were given as to why Teffo’s request was denied.

Meyiwa was shot dead in Vosloorus, Gauteng, in October 2014 at the home of his girlfriend, singer Kelly Khumalo.

For More News And Analysis About South-Africa Follow Africa-Press

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here