Cyclone Gezani leaves 17,000 without power in Mozambique

1
Cyclone Gezani leaves 17,000 without power in Mozambique
Cyclone Gezani leaves 17,000 without power in Mozambique

Africa-Press – Mozambique. At least 17,000 customers remain without electricity in Inhambane, out of a total of 132,000 affected, following the passage of intense tropical cyclone Gezani through the southern Mozambican province, the country’s power utility announced on Sunday.

“Cyclone Gezani affected 132,000 customers. The work of the technical teams has so far enabled the reconnection of 115,000. A total of 17,000 consumers remain without electricity,” reads a statement from Electricidade de Moçambique (EDM), sent to the media.

The cyclone, which struck the province on Friday night, brought down 61 electricity poles, 32 of which have already been replaced, with 29 still outstanding, EDM said, adding that technical teams are on the ground to ensure the restoration of power “as soon as possible”.

Electricity has been restored in the cities of Inhambane and Maxixe and in the districts of Homoíne, Morrumbene, Massinga and Funhalouro, the company said in the statement.

EDM added that emergency generators were deployed to ensure essential services in affected areas, reinforcement teams, equipment and materials were mobilised to address the damage caused, and the company’s emergency committee was activated to manage and support the post-cyclone period.

The state-owned utility has called for preventive measures, warning that during the power outage period, all installations should be considered as permanently live.

At least four people were killed, two injured and around 500 affected by the passage of intense tropical cyclone Gezani in Inhambane province, according to preliminary data from the National Institute for Disaster Management and Risk Reduction (INGD).

The cyclone partially and completely destroyed a total of 1,262 houses and affected 738 pupils, 217 classrooms, 27 teachers, 100 schools and 17 education administrative blocks, in addition to eight health units and two water supply systems.

All 16 accommodation centres opened in the province have now been closed, having sheltered 809 people.

Mozambique’s National Meteorology Institute (Inam) announced on Saturday that Cyclone Gezani no longer poses a threat to the country.

Mozambique’s President, Daniel Chapo, today highlighted the “exemplary behaviour” of the population in following the authorities’ recommendations in managing tropical cyclone Gezani, which helped minimise the damage the phenomenon might have caused.

“To highlight in the management of this disaster, especially before its occurrence, is the exemplary behaviour of our population. I once again wish to thank the Mozambican people who left risk areas and also reinforced their infrastructure so as not to be vulnerable to the strong winds of this cyclone,” Chapo said in remarks to the press in Addis Ababa, where he took part in the African Union (AU) summit.

At least 40 people died in Madagascar during the passage of Gezani, which struck the country’s second-largest city, Toamasina, hard on Tuesday night, according to a toll from local authorities.

Mozambique is still recovering from January’s floods, which caused at least 27 deaths and affected nearly 725,000 people.

Since October, the start of the rainy season, Mozambique has recorded at least 211 deaths, 299 injuries and 853,941 people affected, according to an updated report from INGD.

Source: Lusa

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here